Re: Hooks and Curls and Bars, oh my (was: New contribution)

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 21:34:43 CDT

I wasn't aware that there was an ARABIC SMALL LETTER D to add
a curl to, but I will concede one point, as I wasn't intending to dip into
the
pool of phonetic symbols and wanted to stick with just those Latin
letters that are used as letters, but the curls are at present just used
phonetically (Altho there is nothing to eliminate the possibility of
a future LATIN CAPITAL LETTER D WITH CURL being designed
upon the same principle.) (Besides, I think unifying the phonetic
symbols with Latin was a mistake done solely to ease the transition
from legacy encodings.)

Still, even with potential glyph unifications of distinct characters,
if Phoenician is unifiable with Hebrew, one should be able
to come up with a system for Phoenician that would incorporate
the richness of the Hebrew point and cantilation marks. I'm not saying
that it can't be done; I don't know enough about the scripts to say that.
I am saying that unless it can be done, unification would be a mistake.