Re: Hooks and Curls and Bars, oh my (was: New contribution)

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 12:18:56 CDT

         Elaine Keown
         Tucson

Hi,

> Still, even with potential glyph unifications of
> distinct characters, if Phoenician is unifiable with
> Hebrew, one should be able
> to come up with a system for Phoenician that would
> incorporate

Every year before Thanksgiving, the SBL (Society of
Biblical Literat.) meets.

About 2 SBLs ago, someone discovered that Phoenician
(or something equivalent to that) did have scribal
marks of some sort.....I think they were early text
breaks (equivalent to the Greek scribal marks that
says 'this is a paragraph ending here')...and it
always had word breaks.....

If Phoenician added vowel marks before it began to be
written in Roman script--which was it's eventual
destiny---I don't know that yet.....Elaine