Re: Multiple Directions (was: Re: Coptic/Greek (Re: Phoenician))

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 11:34:10 CDT

    From: "Chris Jacobs" <c.t.mjacobs@freeler.nl>
    > From: "John Cowan" <cowan@ccil.org>
    > > Jony Rosenne scripsit:
    > >
    > > > However, in Hebrew and Arabic, numbers are written left to right and so
    > > > are Latin and other LTR script quotations. So RTL really means mixed
    > > > direction, and the bidi algorithm is there to handle it automatically
    > > > with little user intervention.
    > >
    > > BTW, Peter Daniels told me viva voce that arabophones, like persophones
    > > and hebraeophones, do (hand)write numbers LTR starting with the most
    > > significant digit. But we still have no confirmation from a native
    > > arabophone.
    >
    > Sounds plausible.
    >
    > I do write numbers like 21 RTL, that's how I pronounce them.
    >
    > eenentwintig
    > einundzwanzig

    These are apparent counter-examples in Germanic languages (German, Dutch) where
    you pronounce the units before the tens.

    However even in German, the higher-scaled digits are pronounced first. The
    special inversion of units and tens (with a joining "und" between them) is a
    local inversion that occurs in higher subgroups but subgroups of digits are
    still spelled ordered from highest to lowest scale (for example:
    2100="einundzwanzighundert" for years or "zweitausendhundert" for cardinals;
    21000="einundzwanzigausend").