Re: Multiple Directions

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 13:10:12 CDT

    fantasai scripsit:

    > One doesn't really have to tilt one's head sideways to read the English;
    > it's possible to process the text vertically. I can read the passage at
    > a comfortable speaking speed by this method, and I imagine the Japanese
    > do the same.

    With just a little more practice I'd be fluent at speaking speed too (I tend
    to miss punctuation and "little words" at my first attempt), but I don't
    believe I'd ever get up to fluent *reading* speed, any more than I can with
    inverted text.

    --
    My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
    For XML Schema's too taxing:            jcowan@reutershealth.com