Re: ISO 15924 draft fixes

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 06:37:56 CDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    To: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:40 PM
    Subject: ISO 15924 draft fixes

    > The Registrar wishes to thank everyone who has taken an interest in
    > the ISO 15924 data pages, and regrets the imperfections which are
    > contained there. I am not sure how we will manage the generation of
    > the pages, but it is clear that the base should be the plain-text
    > document.
    >
    > I have made changes to the plain-text document and placed it, a draft
    > Changes page, and the original plain-text document available at
    > http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-fixes.zip
    >
    > I would appreciate it if interested persons could look this over and
    > inform me if they find any further discrepancies between the two
    > which are worth troubling about. Then we will proceed to generate the
    > other files.
    >
    > I deleted some duplicate lines: Ethiopic was on two lines, under
    > Ethiopic and under Ge'ez. It seemed inappropriate to burden the
    > tables with such duplication.
    >
    > I added Coptic unilaterally.

    I can't see Coptic for now in your source zip file.

    There are other "duplicate" lines for name aliases that should be listed in
    changes:
    - "Berber (Tifinagh)"
        => "Tifinagh (Berber)"
    - "(Burmese) Myanmar"
        => "Myanmar (Burmese)"
    - "Fraktur (variant of Latin)"
        => "Latin (Fraktur variant)"
    - "Gaelic (variant of Latin)"
        => "Latin (Gaelic variant)"
    - "Harappan (Indus)"
        => "Indus (Harappan)"
    - "Mormon (Deseret)"
        => "Deseret (Mormon)"
    - "Nagari (Devanagari)"
        => "Devanagari (Nagari)"
    - "Old Church Slavonic (variant of Cyrillic)"
        => "Cyrillic (Old Church Slavonic variant)"

    Note that the French names for Han variants are identical 'idéogrammes han",
    when the English names correctly indicates the distinction between "Traditional"
    and "Simplified" variants. These French names should be:
        "idéogrammes han (Hanzi, Kanji, Hanja)";"Hani";"500";"Han (Hanzi, Kanji,
    Hanja)"
        "idéogrammes han (variante simplifiée)";"Hans";"501";""
        "idéogrammes han (variante traditionnelle)";"Hant";"502";""

    For the French name of "Hangul", I also found "Hang" quite strange (never seen
    this orthograph before)....
    Documents in French from Korea or from Korean users in French refer to "Hangul",
    "Hangoul", or "Hangûl", rarely "Hangeul" whose French reading as "*Ha:n'jeul" or
    "*Hãjeul" would cause problem.
    Some sources are using "Hangueul" which spells correctly in French but it may be
    offensive as it is too near from the popular slang French verb "engueuler"
    conjugated as "engueule" (a "correct" synonym for this verb is "gronder",
    sometimes "enguirlander" in the popular language, because the radical "gueule"
    is used normally to speak about to animal faces/mouths).