Zip vs. Non Zipped and ISO 15924 draft fixes

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 09:39:25 CDT

    > >As a side note to Michael or the other 6 RA members (Ken, and Rick notably),
    > >don't think it's even a good idea to ZIP this reference plain-text file due
    > >its very small size (which smaller than each of the HTML versions of
    > >codelists).

    [snip]

    > Everyone has a zip tool.
    >
    > I am not very happy about loading the plain-text in browsers. Three
    > of my browsers load it and *all* the French UTF-8 is displayed in
    > Latin 1.

    Were the headers correct?

    On the subject of headers most modern browsers will automatically un-gzip files
    if told to do so. Since the browsers also indicate their ability to do so when
    they make the request this can be made to work with older browsers too (albeit
    at the expense of a longer download in this case). This would take a bit of
    server-side work so it may not be such a good idea for drafts that are being
    edited, but it might be more appropriate once they are finalised.

    --
    Jon Hanna
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/>