Re: Hebrew modifier question

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 21:04:52 CDT

    The punctuation you're after is U+05F3 HEBREW PUNCTUATION GERESH (not to
    be confused with HEBREW ACCENT GERESH at U+059C). Everyone uses
    apostrophe because it's what's available, but that's really what the
    PUNCTUATION GERESH is. Similarly you'll see some abbreviations with
    double-quotes (") between some letters. That's really supposed to be
    U+04F4 HEBREW PUNCTUATION GERSHAYIM (again, not to be confused with the
    accent of the same name).

    In these cases, it's being used to modify the letters to indicate
    non-Hebrew sounds. צ׳ means "ch" like in "church", ג׳ is "j" like in
    "junk"...

    ~mark