RE: Why Fraktur is irrelevant (was RE: Fraktur Legibility (was Re: Response to Everson Phoenician)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 10:28:26 CDT

    Peter Constable wrote at 1:36 PM on Tuesday, May 25, 2004:

    >- In the case of PH, some / all Semitic paleographers consider these to
    >be the same characters as square Hebrew characters. There are others,
    >however, who do not.

    I recall no one saying they are not the same characters.

    >Can we agree to drop the discussion of Fraktur now?

    A better way to put this, and the only reason I brought up Fraktur to
    begin with, is to ask, Can we agree to drop the legibility argument for
    Phoenician? Or at least use it consistent with its use for other scripts
    encoded in Unicode?

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar