Re: Fraktur Legibility (was Re: Response to Everson Phoenician)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 10:40:56 CDT

    Asmus Freytag wrote at 12:04 AM on Wednesday, May 26, 2004:

    >Difficulties in reading a script may explain why it has been abandoned
    >but they don't argue for or against encoding it. Otherwise, my handwriting,
    >set to type would be a shoo-in. ;-)

    Precisely my point for those who ran Palaeo-Hebrew tests with modern
    Hebrew speakers and used the lack of legibility as an argument to encode
    Phoenician/Palaeo-Hebrew.

    We also have to remember that the Siloam inscription test:
    * was in "handwriting" incised in stone
    * was in a different orthography than modern Hebrew
    * using dots to separate words
    * and lacked vowel indicators (matres lectionis), very important
    contextual clues for reading modern Hebrew

    All of this contributed to a lack of modern legibility for the Palaeo-
    Hebrew sample text, and the kinds of things I tried to avoid with my
    Fraktur test.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar