Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 22:42:47 CDT

    Mark E. Shoulson scripsit:

    > Just for some more confusion to add, I note that with the distaste later
    > Pharisaic Judaism had for the Old Hebrew script, there comes a fairly
    > well-accepted, if unsupportable, thesis that the Law was actually
    > *originally* given in Square Hebrew ("Assyrian Script"), which was then
    > changed/forgotten when Israel sinned, and later still restored. See
    > http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/t08/t0805.htm for some Talmudic
    > discussion of the matter.

    It's interesting, though, that the story given first is the true one:
    first Hebrew with PH script, then Aramaic with Square script; finally
    the Jews wind up with the law in Square Hebrew and the Samaritans
    with the law in Aramaic using PH script.

    --
    John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan@reutershealth.com
    "'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull