Updated Phoenician proposal: confidential?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 07:35:24 CDT

    I understand that a revised version of "Final proposal for encoding the
    Phoenician script [WG2-N2746R]" has been submitted to the UTC and
    included in the official document register. But this has not apparently
    been made public; it seems to be on a confidential website only, and has
    not appeared (yet, at least) on the official ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 2/WG 2
    document register (or for that matter on the proposer's personal list of
    his proposals, http://evertype.com/formal.html).

    Will this document be made public? Or is there an intention to conceal
    it from the public, or from the user community of the scripts in
    question? While I understand that certain Unicode internal documents may
    be confidential, is it really in order for a whole proposal to be kept
    confidential?

    I am certain that WG2 will not be able to accept any proposal which has
    not been made public and on which the user community has not been given
    the opportunity to comment. I am copying this to Mike Ksar, WG2
    convener, to ensure that he understands the situation.

    I will take the opportunity of reminding Mike Ksar that the original
    proposal N2746, http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2746.pdf,
    contained factual errors, in particular the statement in C 2a that no
    contact has been made with members of the user community. In fact there
    had been considerable contact before the proposal was made, as well as
    afterwards, with scholarly users of Phoenician script, as documented in
    part in the archives of the Unicode list, but these users have been
    almost unanimously opposed to the proposal. I trust that this error has
    been corrected in the revised version of the proposal. If it has not,
    that should in itself be sufficient grounds for rejection of the
    proposal on the grounds that the proposer is attempting to deceive the
    committee.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)