Re: Bantu click letters

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 18:06:56 CDT

    > Simply because some images appear in some
    > documents does not mean that they automatically should be represented as encoded
    > characters.

    These aren't images. They're clearly letters; they occur in running texts and represent
    the sounds of a spoken language. If I were transcribing them, I wouldn't encode them
    as pictures; I would encode them as PUA elements or XML elements (which are usually
    more easier to use and more reliable than the PUA). I don't think any transcriber would
    treat them as images (maybe display them as images, but that's purely presentational.)

    I'll admit that it's a bit sketchy encoding these characters based on one article by
    one author. But I think it important to remember that more and more text is available
    online, even stuff that might never get reprinted in hardcopy, and that needs Unicode.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm