Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin->arabic

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 10:35:32 CDT

    Yes, transliterations are between different scripts. However, there are
    often different transliterations *between the same two scripts* that vary by
    language. To take your example, the transliterations customarily used
    between the Greek script and the Latin script are different in the cases:

    (a) for ancient Greek and English (e.g. ευ => eu)
    (b) for modern Greek and English (e.g. ευ => ev, ef)

    (see http://www.eki.ee/wgrs/rom1_el.pdf)

    For that matter, the transliterations customarily used between Cyrillic and
    Latin are different for the cases:

    (a) Russian and English
    (b) Russian and French
    (c) Russian and German
    (d) Serbian and English

    Note: I am still speaking of transliterations (e.g. transformations that
    'roundtrip'), not transcriptions (which try to match the pronunciation more
    precisely, and may lose information).

    Thus, for brevity, one may and does speak of a transliteration between
    Russian and English, as shorthand for a "transliteration between the
    Cyrillic script and the Latin script following customary conventions for
    Russian and English".

    Mark