[OT] Istanbul [was: Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic]

From: Philipp Reichmuth (reichmuth@web.de)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 05:22:37 CDT

    >> Constantinopel hayssen die Chrichen Istimboli und die Thürcken
    >> hayssends Stambol;
    >
    > The Greeks had no problem with initial consonant clusters but the Turks did,
    > so it is much more likely that the Turks added the initial I to a Greek
    > word starting with ST, just as Spanish and French add initial E before
    > such clusters.

    Are you sure about the Turks and the initial consonant clusters? I
    always thought it depends on the actual cluster structure. Modern
    Turkish at least has loanwords such as "brokoli", "graten" or the
    notorious "spor" where the problem is the word-*final* cluster, not the
    word *initial* one. While Turkic roots usually do not begin with
    consonant clusters, it appears to be OK in loans.

    The situation is a bit difficult because of the Persian and Arabic
    adstrata in Ottoman Turkish. Both Arabic and Persian definitely do not
    allow word-initial consonant clusters at all, which led to a lot of
    words with auxiliary vowels in Turkish. However, these words already had
    the auxiliary vowels when

    Philipp

    --
    Was für Japan ist der Tenno,