Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 12:22:16 CDT

    On 07/07/2004 17:04, Mike Ayers wrote:

    > Are you just trying to kick up dirt here, or were you
    > genuinely unaware that National Geographic is an American
    > publication? I specified "American", as opposed to "English speaking"
    > in this case for that reason, also because the British are known to be
    > more familiar with, and therefore tolerant of, various diacritics. I
    > doubt, however, that this would have any bearing on Vietnamese, which,
    > while it uses familiar looking diacritics, uses them in very
    > unfamiliar (to Europeans in general, as best I understand it) ways.

    Indeed we British are more tolerant. Most of us have learned at least a
    little French and so vaguely know what e acute sounds like, perhaps also
    e grave, and that e with an accent is not silent, as in café. Other
    accents we tend to understand as marking stress and/or length, which
    works for Spanish and probably also António's Portuguese. So we do a lot
    better in guessing pronunciation than we would do if the diacritics were
    stripped off completely, even if we don't actually understand properly
    what they mean.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)