RE: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 11:04:24 CDT

            Yep. Hope you don't mind my inability to pronounce it. However,
    grave (and acute) accents hardly rate as obscure, so I could pronounce
    through them and get passably close. Even here in the cultural boondocks we
    know that.

    > Obscure indeed -- that's the last thing I'd expect in a list such as
    > this! Is internationalization is serious issue, or just a toy to kill
    > off idle time?

            Oh, calm down. We were originally talking about Vietnamese
    diacritics, many of which definitely qualify as obscure, the rest being
    obscure uses of more familiar diacritics. Just because you don't like the
    kind of internationalization I mentioned does not mean it shouldn't be
    discussed.

    > > from every foreign language, that the modern American would accept
    > > words with arbitrary diacritics?
    >
    > "Foreign"? "American"? I obviously misunderstood the whole purpose of
    > these discussions, then. Bye bye -- will back as soon as I get my
    > Green Card, seņor! >;-)

            Are you just trying to kick up dirt here, or were you genuinely
    unaware that National Geographic is an American publication? I specified
    "American", as opposed to "English speaking" in this case for that reason,
    also because the British are known to be more familiar with, and therefore
    tolerant of, various diacritics. I doubt, however, that this would have any
    bearing on Vietnamese, which, while it uses familiar looking diacritics,
    uses them in very unfamiliar (to Europeans in general, as best I understand
    it) ways.

            Now, in a last desperate hope to address the issue I raised: does
    the practice of stripping diacritics have a name?

            Thanks,

    /|/|ike