Re: Importance of diacritics

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 08:04:11 CDT

    On 15/07/2004 13:21, Alexander Savenkov wrote:

    >>By contrast, è and é are not interfiled.
    >>

    >I can’t see why you put these as an example. They are completely
    >different letters (vowel and consonant), notwithstanding their similar
    >look. ...

    I used these as an example because in Unicode é canonically decomposes
    to è and breve, just like ¸ canonically decomposes to å plus diaeresis
    (or umlaut? not sure what German bibliographers would make of this one),
    and a diacritic folding would automatically fold é with è as well as ¸
    with å. I presume the former folding would be unacceptable to Russians,
    at least in some contexts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)