Re: Folding algorithm and canonical equivalence

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 07:28:03 CDT

    On 18/07/2004 08:56, Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > At 11:17 PM 7/17/2004, John Cowan wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >>
    >> > But I think the best thing to do is to drop *all* Hebrew
    >> > combining marks; the result of this is valid unpointed Hebrew.
    >>
    >> I agree.
    >

    > OK, in my last message I was cofused, this was Peter's suggestion and
    > Jony had seconded it.
    >
    > I take it as confirmed then to do *all* marks, accents and points from
    > the Hebrew block.
    >
    > Is it agreed that this should be linked to L/G/C accent folding or
    > would it be useful to keep the description separate so that these
    > foldings could be invoked separately?
    >
    > A./

    I can see that there might be cases when the Hebrew folding should be
    invoked without other scripts being affected. But I think that anyone
    applying a general accent or diacritic folding would expect this to
    include all Hebrew (and Arabic, Syriac etc) combining marks.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)