Re: Much better Latin-1 keyboard for Windows

From: Cristian Secarã (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 13:42:55 CDT

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:38:36 -0400, Alain LaBonté wrote:

    > The concept of group and group selection [...] was taken into
    > consideration by ISO with the intent to extend it to multiple
    > groups. However the multiple group model, if it exists, has not
    > been standarized yet and deployed fully in its modalities, but
    > time may have come for this.

    For my national Romanian keyboard standard, I have defined two further
    concepts, somewhat inspired by MS Windows OS:
    - keyboard language; a system can have more than one language defined
    for a keyboard, to suit a particular need for local ethnic communities
    - character arrangement; a given keyboard language can have as many
    character arrangements as needed, to suit a particular need [mainly
    professional, but not limited to]; each character arrangement consist
    of one ore more group, each group defined in traditional ISO/IEC 9995-x
    way

    For the Romanian keyboard standard case, there is only one language
    defined, Romanian.
    For the Romanian keyboard standard case, there are now two "character
    arrangements": number one (the main one), called "Romanian" and number
    two, called "Romanian (Programmers)".
    I defined 4 groups, each with 2 levels.
    Then:
    - character arrangement one is group 1 + group 3 (plain & shift + AltGr
    & shiftAltGr).
    - character arrangement two is group 4 + group 5 (plain & shift + AltGr
    & shiftAltGr).
    I kept group 2 reserved for strictly implementations of ISO/IEC 9995-3
    ... (and unused in my actual case)

    > For this we must rely on international
    > standarization, not on the will of only one individual

    Well, I hope that my original implementation does not harm much the
    international standardization :)

    Cristi