Re: Writing Tatar using the Latin script; new characters to encode?

From: Philipp Reichmuth (reichmuth@web.de)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 02:34:31 CDT

    Eric Muller schrieb:
    >> Unicode exists to support what people use. Do people use Latin script
    >> for Tatar? Evidence indicates that they do. Should Unicode support
    >> it, then? Certainly. Does Unicode support it? Yes, Unicode supports
    >> the Latin script, with gobs of extensions. So what's the problem?
    >
    > Latin n with descender, which is not encoded but needed according to
    > <http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=tt+Tatar&script=latin

    For Tatar, at least, it's OK to use eng as far as I can see.

    Official usage is n with tilde. See, e.g., the language law of 1999,
    which is available online and which uses n with tilde throughout:
    http://tugan-tel.noka.ru/belem/imla

    However, I was in Tatarstan early this year, and signs etc. frequently
    show inverted e and n with descender where the law would call for a with
    diaeresis and n with tilde. It's pretty much of an alphabet in transition.

    Philipp