Re: UAX 15 hangul composition

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 21:46:50 CDT

    Theo Veenker <Theo dot Veenker at let dot uu dot nl> wrote:

    > A somewhat related question. I know next to nothing about Hangul
    > [de]composition so forgive me for asking silly questions. In the
    > UnicodeData.txt file there are much more than the 19 L, 21 V, and
    > 28 L jamos. Are the other jamos not use to compose syllables, or
    > does the syllable block represent an incomplete set of compatibility
    > characters? What's is it?

    All jamos are used to compose syllables. The Hangul Syllables block
    starting at U+AC00 covers the repertoire specified by KS C 5601, which
    is said to be sufficient for "modern Korean," written since the
    orthographic reform of 1933. The other jamos in the U+1100 block are
    not considered part of the "modern" Hangul writing system, and so there
    are no precomposed syllables that use them.

    This is a gross oversimplification, and I fully expect someone to step
    in and correct at least one detail.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/