Re: [mo/mol] and [ro/ron/rum]

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 05:39:36 CDT

    On 2004.08.13, 22:47, Peter Kirk <peterkirk@qaya.org> wrote:

    > It should be careful to listen to users from small countries rather
    > than impose on them a western guess about a situation

    Moldavia and Roumania are both "western". And not really that small.
    And both have an ISO representative, or at least they are entitled
    to. (Excessively expressing a wish not to offend may be percieved as
    protective and patronizing, and be then offensive for real. PC does
    back fire very often.)

    As for your question: both governments (and "their" people), while
    keeping their armies and recyprocal independence (for now), agree
    that it is the same language, even if they may some day disagree about
    its name. (E.g., the 19th cent. saw a number of wars in South America
    -- common language did not avert hostility nor did create unity among
    neighbours.)

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1XXX-XXX LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |