Re: outside decomposed, inside precomposed

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 02:52:27 CST

    On 15/10/2004 02:36, Richard Cook wrote:

    > If someone wants to normalize my text into precomposed things, that's
    > all well and good, so long as there's a fallback mechanism for
    > rendering via a font which may have only the decomposed parts.

    Surely what is needed is a rendering system which guarantees to do what
    is strongly recommended in the Unicode standard: render all canonically
    equivalent sequences identically. The best way to ensure this is for the
    rendering engine to normalise the text before displaying it. The
    normalisation should not necessarily be into a Unicode normalisation
    form (and maybe should depend on what characters are in the font) but it
    should fold all canonically equivalent sequences. One way to do this
    might be first to decompose to NFD then to compose again only
    precomposed characters which are in the font.

    I understand that Uniscribe is being enhanced to do something like this.
    Other rendering engines should also do it. The overhead of normalisation
    should be trivial relative to all of the other tasks required for
    normalisation.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)