Re: text-transform

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 19:52:32 CST

    Carl W. Brown wrote:
    > What amazes me is that no one has addressed numeric input.
    >
    > Often companies to simplify i18n use web servers and browsers
    > for data processing. Much of that involves forms and these
    > forms have mixed alphanumeric and numeric only fields. To the
    > best of my knowledge nowhere can I specify numeric only fields.
    > If for example, I am entering data with an IME which is on the
    > numeric values will be entered as full-width characters unless
    > I disable the IME for that specific field. With heads down
    > keying this can cause errors.
    >
    > Why not add "numeric" to "capitalize | uppercase | lowercase |
    > none". This would convert full-width as well as other script
    > numeric characters to 0-9 and remove all alpha characters.

    Comments on CSS (but not how-to questions) should be directed to
    the www-style mailing list at w3.org, not unicode:
       http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/

    Keep in mind, however, that CSS only affects the presentation;
    form data will be sent as it is actually entered whatever the
    value of text-transform might be for the field.

    You might want to take a look at the Web Forms 2.0 specification drafts.
    A web browser could very well auto-correct input given in constrained
    form fields.

       http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#extensions

    ~fantasai

    --