Re: not font designers?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 22:29:53 CST

    E. Keown <k underscore isoetc at yahoo dot com> wrote:

    > Supposedly this list has >600 people.
    >
    > Just of curiosity, how many of you are NOT font
    > designers?

    Maybe I'm being a bit cynical (the election wasn't that long ago, after
    all), but I have to wonder what the motivation is for asking this
    question.

    This is not inherently a list of font designers, nor is the Unicode
    Consortium an organization of font vendors. However, there have been
    charges by critics, such as Steven Searle of the TRON Project, that
    Unicode is in the "font creation business" (among his many wild and
    unsubstantiated claims).

    Certainly there are some font designers on this list, but to ask a list
    of 600+ members how many are NOT font designers implies that most of
    them are.

    You've received nine public responses: one from a genuine font designer,
    two (or more, depending on interpretation) from people who have designed
    fonts at some time but don't identify themselves as "font designers,"
    and the remainder from people who definitely aren't font designers. It
    would be disingenuous to suggest that the other 591+ list members who
    have not responded must therefore be font designers.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/