Re: Exporting Unicode UTF-8 from Word

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 03:11:24 CST

    Hello,

    Cristian Secarã wrote:
    > how do you export UTF-8 from MS Word ? AFAIK, the only
    > way to do that is to copy from Word & paste to Notepad, then save as
    > UTF-8.

    AFAIK, this works only under Windows XP.
    It does definitely not work under Win 98/NT.

    > Alternatively, copy from Word & paste to e-mail recipient, whose
    > encoding is set to UTF-8.

    This does indeed work under Windows 98/ME/NT/2k/XP; I do not remember,
    whether it also worked under Windows 95.

    Christopher Fynn schrieb:
    > If you have a Word document with Unicode characters
    > choose: File Save As, Save as type: Plain Text
    > enter a file name, and click on "Save"
    > This should bring up a "File Conversion" dialog [...]:
    > "Text Encoding:" [...] Select: Other Encoding

    This works in Word 2000, and up, but not in Word 97.

    In Word 97, the only Unicode encoding available is UCS-2LE
    (plain text via "File/Save as", File type="Unicode text";
    the Word format is also UCS-2LE encoded).

    Best wishes,
        Otto Stolz