Re: [hebrew] Re: proposals I wrote (and also, didn't write)

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 10:25:38 CST

    John Hudson wrote:

    >> I'll have to look closely at samples again, but it seems to me that
    >> the accent marks are not pointing and thus not combining marks
    >> (though the vowel points of course are combining marks). They appear
    >> to be used more as punctuation than as letter-diacriticals.
    >

    > Do you mean that they are spacing characters?

    I do mean that. We'll have to take a close look at texts, but it is my
    recollection that they are spacing punctuation marks and not combining
    diacritics.

    (I suppose there could be a fuzzy line between those. What do you say
    about a mark that always appears at the end of a word kinda
    over-and-to-the-left of the last letter? Like, say, Zarqa in Masoretic
    Hebrew? Is it a spacing character after the word or a mark on the
    letter? In the case of Zarqa, it's clearly a combining mark on the
    letter, based on other accents, printing, and general perception through
    the years. But in general?)

    ~mark