Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 07:59:48 CST

    Michael Everson a écrit :

    > At 01:12 -0500 2005-02-14, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >
    >> Are you considering such set of confusables for
    >> Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/Tifinagh/Deseret/API/Old
    >> Italic/Cherokee/Coptic/..., how large a set then? Maintaining such a
    >> list of universal confusables seems like a lot of work, and by some
    >> aspects very subjective.
    >

    > I agree, this is out of our scope, I think. It is "apologetic" and we
    > already get attacked enough for this "security problem".

    I agree for cross-script confusions : this does not seem like a real
    security problem because, in practice, no one writes (or should write) a
    word using multiples scripts (cases like the Cyrillic Q for Kurdish
    should be fixed). In other cases, we must be careful not to duplicate
    generic characters (like diacritical marks or symbols) across scripts.

    > I mean, really. IDN is for, among others, the Chinese. Who is going to
    > maintain the "list of confusables" for Extension B and Extension C1
    > and all?

    I also wonder. Isn't Unihan already a monstruous enough undertaking ?

    P. A.