Re[4]: IDN Security

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 09:14:20 CST

    Hello,

    on 2005-02-18T08:48:24+03:00 Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > Alexander Savenkov <savenkov at xmlhack dot ru> wrote:

    >>> In
    >>> http://www.icann.org/committees/idn/idn-codepoint-input.htm, IANA
    >>> recommend blacklisting the following Unicode character ranges as
    >>> unusable within IDNs:
    >>
    >>> * Box Drawing

    >>> Blacklisting all of these can be an effective part of an overall more
    >>> thorough anti-spoofing solution by greatly cutting down on spoofing
    >>> opportunities prior to other forms of filtering.
    >>
    >> "Greatly" is not correct. "Slightly" is more appropriate.

    > I'm not convinced that (a) box-drawing characters will contribute
    > noticeably to any spoofing problems nor that (b) box-drawing characters
    > are in particularly hot demand for IDNs anyway, for either legitimate or
    > nefarious purposes.

    Absolutely agreed. I didn't mean the box-drawing set of characters
    specifically, but rather all the characters that Neil thought were
    about to greatly facilitate the solution of the spoofing problem.

    In fact, I just wanted to reduce the number of lines to quote. Sorry
    for the confusion.

    Alexander

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/