Re: orthographies

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 19:57:36 CST

    Asmus Freytag a écrit :

    > At 12:50 PM 2/19/2005, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >
    >> Slangs have always existed and people use them because they deviate
    >> from the orthography (now that most people write), the received
    >> pronunciation, grammar or glossary. It is mostly an identity tool of
    >> a subculture, most people speaking argot in French for example can
    >> switch to standard French if needed.
    >

    > The point here is that new technologies are increasing the degree to
    > which such forms of writing are interchanged, and the ease with which
    > that is done.

    Obviously, especially if interchange means electronic interchange and
    consider the potential public (the world, what a thrill!). For paper
    exchange (scribbling a note) such unorthographic interchange was
    probably just as easy (in fact you could more easily invent new symbols
    and not respect spelling rules...).

    > Luckily, for Unicode, character encoding is deliberately at the script
    > level, not the orthography level.

    True. We certainly are not interested in the rules of correct spelling.

    P. A.