Re: wiki?

From: Neil Harris (neil@tonal.clara.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 03:43:01 CST

    Gregg Reynolds wrote:

    > Howdy list,
    >
    > Any chance of seeing a Unicode wiki to complement the mailing list?
    > It would be interesting to see if a wiki do the following with threads
    > like those on IDN spoofing etc.:
    >
    > 1. reduce list traffic by diverting some of the more elaborate
    > messages to wiki pages;
    > 2. result in better collaborative formulations of
    > problems/solution alternatives
    > 3. reduce the amount of traffic devoted to re-explaining stuff
    > (the FAQ Effect) to newbies and part-timers like moi
    > 4. Etc. - all the wiki magic stuff.
    >
    > FYI contrary to what
    > http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#10 says in item 5,
    > searching the list archives does appear to require registration,
    > unless I'm doing something wrong. Since I have naturally forgotten
    > the pwd I used to register, I didn't search on 'wiki'. Sorry.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > gregg

    I would recommend using the MediaWiki software
    (http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/) used for Wikipedia: this provides
    full UTF-8 support, multilingual interfaces, and also supports TeX,
    categories, and templating. It's also arguably the most battle-tested
    Wiki software out there. You might want to look at the Wikicities
    hosting service (http://www.wikicities.com/wiki/Wikicities) for a
    quick-and-dirty temporary solution (note, your content will need to be
    GFDL-licensed); you can easily move your content to your own site later
    -- it's based on a standard Linux/PHP/MySQL environment.

    -- Neil