Re: CGJ for Two Greek Ligatures?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 21:59:40 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > The only safe way ahead is to apply the ligature only when text is
    > clearly marked up (as for example it would be in MS Word) as in a
    > language other than Turkish or Azerbaijani, or when ZWJ is used to
    > promote the ligature.

    I agree completely that a ZWJ between an f and an i should be treated as
    a request to ligate, and conversely that a ZWNJ should be treated as a
    request not to ligate.

    It has been stated here repeatedly that ZWJ and ZWNJ should be
    exceptional overrides only, not sprinkled throughout ordinary text to
    achieve ordinary ligation.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/