Re: Off-topic (was Re: Encoded rendering instructions (was Unicode's Mandate))

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 04:28:24 CST

    Yes, I have heard that, too, but don't really buy it.:-) What I have
    also heard is that XML was an attempt to create a dumbed-down version of
    SGML and also create a commercial product and/or substitute for HTML.
    Never mind the history (about which either what you heard or what I
    heard could be true, or something else entirely), what we need now is
    something to serve pressing scholarly/research/computing needs, be that
    'something' SGML or XML or both, or something else (there are always
    more solutions than problems to hand).
    mg
    Scríobh Mark Davis:

    --