Re: U+0023

From: Jukka K. Korpela (
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 11:28:17 CST

  • Next message: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan: "Re: Additional normalization test cases"

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    > What is the British English name of U+0023?

    As far as I know, the character "#" is not used in normal text in British
    English. So when it is used in various technical contexts, I'd expect
    people to use varying names for it, according to how it is called in
    particular contexts. For example, the specification of URL format calls it
    "octothorpe"! The names mentioned in the Unicode standard are just a
    sample of names in use. For the name history (and usage), see
    which also mentions that "hash" is "the most common name outside the US,
    including in the UK and Australia".

    > What is it called on the telephone keypad?


    Jukka "Yucca" Korpela,

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sun Mar 27 2005 - 11:29:39 CST