Re: Deseret Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 09:35:55 CST

    Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs dot tut dot fi> wrote:

    > I've noticed that if I set e.g. lang="ru" for a piece of text
    > containing Russian as transliterated (in Latin letters), browsers may
    > think (from the lang attribute) that the text must be in Cyrillic
    > letters, so they use the font selected for Cyrillic script. This is
    > somewhat understandable, since browsers cannot really recognize the
    > writing system - they need to make a guess.

    The latest proposed update to RFC 3066, which serves as the basis for
    constructions like lang="ru", introduces the concept of a "default
    script" for certain languages known to be written almost exclusively in
    a single script. This means that browsers and other processes built to
    the new RFC will no longer have to guess; they will *know* that "ru"
    should be considered equivalent to "ru-Cyrl." Anyone who wants Russian
    text in the Latin script will need to request "ru-Latn" explicitly.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California