From: Doug Ewell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 09:35:55 CST
Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs dot tut dot fi> wrote:
> I've noticed that if I set e.g. lang="ru" for a piece of text
> containing Russian as transliterated (in Latin letters), browsers may
> think (from the lang attribute) that the text must be in Cyrillic
> letters, so they use the font selected for Cyrillic script. This is
> somewhat understandable, since browsers cannot really recognize the
> writing system - they need to make a guess.
The latest proposed update to RFC 3066, which serves as the basis for
constructions like lang="ru", introduces the concept of a "default
script" for certain languages known to be written almost exclusively in
a single script. This means that browsers and other processes built to
the new RFC will no longer have to guess; they will *know* that "ru"
should be considered equivalent to "ru-Cyrl." Anyone who wants Russian
text in the Latin script will need to request "ru-Latn" explicitly.
-- Doug Ewell Fullerton, California http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Tue Apr 26 2005 - 09:37:11 CST