Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 18:21:42 CDT

    At 16:42 +0100 2005/05/20, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >>John Jenkins has produced Deseret versions of the Doctrine and
    >>Covenants and Pearl of Great Price in PDF format (downloadable from
    >><http://homepage.mac.com/jhjenkins/Deseret/Triple.pdf>). Given that
    >>Deseret was created for writing Mormon texts this document can hardly
    >>be seen as a "fantasy" usage of the script, and I am sure that John
    >>considers it to be a serious usage of the script.
    >
    >Perhaps "fantasy" was not quite the right word (it wasn't my word
    >originally), but the one part of this document I can read states
    >"the Alphabet never caught on and hasn't had any significant use
    >since 1869". Was this document itself produced for people to
    >actually read, or just as a typographical curiosity or a test of
    >technology?

    There seems to be a difference between scripts, on the one hand, that
    have been in active use as part of a natural written language of a
    community and those that have not. Perhaps "natural written language"
    and "not natural written language" might be useful terms. Finding a
    clear border will probably be like telling how many trees that makes
    up a forest.

    --
       Hans Aberg