Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 22:21:55 CDT

    Mete Kural wrote:

    ..
    > I also agree with you that some markup elements should interrupt text flow such as <TD> and others such as <SPAN> should not interrupt text flow, hence not force Arabic letters to seperate from each other.

    With complex scripts a problem may arise when a sequence of two or more
    characters are normally displayed as a ligature (single glyph). If there is
    a markup element specifying say a color change in the middle of such a
    sequence how is a normal text application or rendering engine supposed to
    display parts of a single glyph in different colors?? Glyphs for the
    individual characters could be displayed seperatly but then the ligature
    (which might be *required* for the language ) might not be displayed properly.

    Which takes precedence in such a situation, the ligature formation required
    to display the language correctly or the color change specified by the markup?

    - Chris