Re: Unihan and U+939D

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 08:41:37 CDT

    On 14/06/05, Tom Emerson <tree@basistech.com> wrote:
    > Andrew West writes:
    > > On 14/06/05, Benjamin Kite <dharbigt@pobox.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The Unihan definition for U+939D (æp) is presently "tc". I assume this
    > > > stands for "traditional character".
    > >
    > > "tc" is a little terse. In fact "tc"stands for the element technetium.
    > > Both U+939D and U+951D (a simplified character which also has the
    > > Unihan definition of "tc") are used to translate the name of this
    > > element in Chinese. I guess the Unihan definition should be "Tc"
    > > rather than "tc", and perhaps "Tc (technetium)" would be even clearer.
    >
    > I thought U+9340 was the full-form of U+951D. Is U+939D a variant U+9340?

    I haven't got a dictionary to hand, so I'm relying on my memory of the
    Periodic Table in Chinese, but I think that both 951D/9340 (one
    traditional/simplified pair of characters) and 939D/28C4F (another
    unrelated traditional/simplified pair of characters) are used to
    translate technetium. 951D/9340 aren't directly relevant to Benjamin's
    original points, but I mentioned 951D because it also has a Unihan
    definition of "tc" (having just looked, I now see that 9340 has the
    slightly more helpful definition of "technetium").

    > > > Lastly, there is a simplified version of U+939D with the standard
    > > > simplification (U+9485 [...]) of the Kangxi gold radical (U+2FA6 [...]),
    > > > but it doesn't seem to appear in Unicode anywhere at present.
    > >
    > > The simplified form is encoded at U+28C4F.
    >
    > This form doesn't use the simplified gold radical, rather U+8345.

    Uh ? Looks like it does to me (simplified gold on the left, U+8345 on
    the right).

    > Is this full/simple form mapping between U+939D and U+28C4F documented?
    > (I'm not trying to be a PITA, I'm trying to understand the process.)

    Doesn't look as if it is in Unihan, but then the
    traditional/simplified mappings in Unihan are known to be incomplete.