Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 17:23:44 CDT

    From: David Starner <prosfilaes@gmail.com>
    >The point is, they do so in talking about the letterform itself. I'm
    >sure there are elementary school texts that color the cross-bar of the
    >t or the dot of the i, too.

    Lam_Alef is not a letter, it is rather two letters, lam and alef. Similarly fi ligature does not represent a letter, it is two letters, f and i. Let's say I'm writing an Arabic educational book and writing a paragraph where I highlight the root letters of words with red. If I highlight the root letters in the word al-akl (the food). I highlight the second alef, kaf, and lam as the root letters of the word. Am I studying letterform here? I am studying the morphology of the word al-akl. I am trying to put Unicode into application by demonstrating morphology of words in teaching Arabic. I think this is a justifiable need. This has nothing to do with letterform.

    Regards,
    Mete

    --
    Mete Kural