Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 14:53:37 CDT

    Gregg Reynolds wrote,

    > ... It's misleading and confusing to
    > say that multicolored text is not plaintext when in fact we have no way
    > of inferring the form of the original coded message based solely on its
    > representation.

    From the glossary at unicode.org:
    ( http://www.unicode.org/glossary/index.html )

         "Plain Text. Computer-encoded text that consists only
         of a sequence of code points from a given standard,
         with no other formatting or structural information.
         Plain text interchange is commonly used between
         computer systems that do not share higher-level
         protocols."

    Colour is not currently considered an aspect of plain text, so any
    colouring information would be mark-up/rich text.

    See also the glossary entry for rich text, which includes this: "The
    Unicode Standard does not address the representation of rich text."

    We seem to be off-topic.

    Inserting mark-up tags between characters which would normally
    ligate or shape or re-position breaks the run of text. This isn't
    a problem; it's expected behaviour. Although it might be possible
    to define some method of colouring parts of a glyph in HTML/XML,
    by the time the authour has mastered the syntax and all of the
    world's browsers support the syntax -- well, it would have been
    simpler to just use graphics.

    Best regards,

    James Kass