Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 15:49:29 CDT

    James Kass wrote:

    > Colour is not currently considered an aspect of plain text, so any
    > colouring information would be mark-up/rich text.
    >
    > See also the glossary entry for rich text, which includes this: "The
    > Unicode Standard does not address the representation of rich text."
    >
    > We seem to be off-topic.

    In the years I've followed the Unicode discussion list, it has never seemed to be limited
    to the content or focus of the standard itself. Much of what gets discussed involves
    implementation of the standard, which inevitably involves some discussion of 'stuff built
    on top of Unicode', including higher level protocols and non-plain text. The standard
    itself wades into these areas, making specific recommendations about rendering of control
    character sequences for instance, so it isn't surprising that the discussion follows.

    In this case, though, I'm inclined to agree that we have drifted far off topic, since the
    specific font and application colouring models being discussed are not directly connected
    with the encoding of the underlying text.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com