RE: It is easy to predict the past.

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 23:16:57 CDT

    > From: Asmus Freytag [mailto:asmusf@ix.netcom.com]

    > >But for a case like this, it is not at all difficult to convert the
    Tamil
    > >string into a bitmap, colour the parts that you want, and insert that
    > into
    > >a slide.
    >
    > It may not be 'difficult', but it does involve paying attention to
    > background transparency issues. If your slides don't use white
    background,
    > and if your fonts are 'smoothed', you can pick up annoying white
    outlines
    > around your letters, unless you know precisely how to capture them
    without
    > these artifacts.

    Elementary, my dear Watson! Create the text you want in a textbox on the
    slide, and make a second copy -- one in each foreground colour you want
    to use. Take a screenshot of that, and use the two to create your
    graphic. The colour transitions at the edges of the text in the bitmaps
    will be precisely what is needed for the slide background.

    > It can also be amazingly non-portable.

    True. To increase the portability, turn off font smoothing (not that
    hard), and create the text samples larger than you need (scale down
    later). With font smoothing turned off, there will be no colour
    transitions at the edges.

    Peter Constable