Re: Tamil sha (U+0BB6) - deprecate it?

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 03:25:05 CDT

    Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:
    > In Indic encoding each language has it's code allocation as scripts
    > are totally different, unlike Latin where most of the aplphabet
    > looks and means similar.

    Considering the languages that use the Latin script, yes the letters looks
    similar. But the meaning varies considerably between the languages. If you
    have a look at API (or any phonological Latin-based system) you will have an
    idea about the central meaning of the basic letters, around which the
    various languages are fiddling, but there are some letters which experiment
    wide variations, like Z, J, H, or C/G.

    Now I heard that Nepali shares the same script (under Unicode) as Hindi, yet
    the sounds of the letters differ. I guess similar cases could be found for
    other scripts vs. lesser used languages in India (and I _know_ it is the
    case for various if not all the scripts of South-East Asia, which are also
    Brahmi-related).
    At the other side, Cyrillic and Greek have a great deal of similarity with
    the Latin script, yet they have been considered different enough to warrant
    their own encodings. Same for lower and upper case. But not the same for
    Italic vs. Roman style, which has been unified.

    Bottom line, do not try to oppose Indic scripts and European scripts; in
    fact there is a continuum of implementation choices over centuries, no place
    for manicheism here.

    Antoine