Re: Tamil sha (U+0BB6) - deprecate it?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 05:41:54 CDT

    I would have preferred not to respond to this, but it seemed necessary.

    At 04:56 +0100 2005-06-27, Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:

    >It is true that [Sanskrit] evolved from Tamil and utilised European
    >a lot to find it's path.

    No, it isn't.

    >I do not beleive that European languages were born out of Sanskrit as claimed.

    No linguist makes such a claim. The European languages (apart from
    Finnish, Estonian, Sami, Hungarian, Basque, and Etruscan), the
    Iranian languages, and most of the languages of northern India
    including Sanskrit derived from a language reconstructed as
    Proto-Indo-European.

    >If you wish to discuss this in detail, let me know and I'll guide
    >you to discuss this with experts on this field.

    As I studied Indo-European Linguistics at the University of Arizona
    and UCLA, and as I speak six Indo-European languages from three
    different branches of Indo-European, I shall decline your offer.

    >Do you have evidence to proove that European Languages emmerged from
    >Sanskrit as claimed by many.

    My library is filled with such evidence. If you would like an
    introduction to Indo-European linguistics, try the Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European

    >Some try to make it that celtic is the original European language
    >and the Latin born out of [Sanskrit] is an artificial addition in
    >Europe as much as artificial addition in Indic.

    Nonsense. Not a thing you have written here is true, and I know of no
    one who suggests such a thing. Here in Ireland, we have an ancient
    and beautiful Celtic language which many of us are proud of and
    cherish. But we do not try to change the facts by pretending that it
    is anything that it is not.

    >Well if that claim is true, Tamil like to stay natural and keep the
    >identity. Is that some thing against Unicode philosophy?

    The Universal Character Set exists to encode characters for use and
    interchange. There is no other philosophy.

    >It is very true that, Sanskrit evolved from Tamil and utilised
    >European to advance it it's own way.

    Nonsense. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

    I'm finished with this thread.