Re: Orrmulum -- U+204A -- large and small ⁊

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 07:59:50 CDT

    On 18/08/05, Patrick Andries <patrick.andries@xcential.com> wrote:
    > I have a few questions concerning the Tironian annd (⁊).
    >
    > What is the reason of the inclusion of this letter in Unicode ? How is ⁊
    > used in Gaelic (a Latin script) ? As a variant of & ?
    >
    > Should U+204A ⁊ be used in any other context than modern Gaelic ?

    U+204A is ubiquitous in Old English as an abbreviation for ond/and.

    Although in most printed editions of Old English texts Tironian et is
    silently expanded, in more scholarly editions it is often printed as
    is, in the old days often using "7".

    > How about in the Orrmulum ? How about the large Tironian et/annd (⁊)
    > occuring in the Orrmulum ?
    > http://user.phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de/~holteir/companion/Navigation/Anonymous_Texts/Orrmulum/PicturesOrrmulum/picturesorrmulum.html
    >
    > They seem as large as the large O and other capital letters occuring at
    > the start of lines. How should these large ⁊ be encoded ? Are these
    > "annd" simply glyph variants of U+204A ? Should these ⁊ (large and
    > small) be transcribed in full here ?

    I would say that the large and small instances of Tironian et in this
    text are idiosyncratic, and should both be represented using U+204A.
    In more neatly written texts than the Orrmulum the Tironian et is
    generally a uniform size. If you wanted to preserve the size
    distinction in this particular text I would use rich text and
    formatting to do so.

    Andrew