Re: Historical Cyrillic in Unicode

From: Alexej Kryukov (akrioukov@newmail.ru)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 14:04:19 CDT

    On Sunday 21 August 2005 00:24, Michael Everson wrote:

    > Yes, but it is a question of resources to make the encoding effort
    > possible.

    If so, I would like to know if somebody already submitted a
    request for combining titlos (superscript letters with titlo,
    mentioned also by Michael Fayez in his recent message).
    Absence of these characters is the main reason why Unicode still
    cannot be used for Church Slavonic texts, so that all interested
    people have to use various custom 8-bit encodings.

    > >For example, does anybody know anything about this document:
    > >http://irmologion.ru/etc/n2xxx-cyrillic.pdf
    >
    > Yes. I wrote it, and it shouldn't be on a Russian site without
    > permission, and I wonder how it got there.

    I think it would be much better if this document was available
    somethere at unicode.org, so that interested people could discuss
    it or at least know that somebody in Unicode is really occupied with
    the corresponding problems. If I had never seen this file, I would have
    an impression that historicall Cyrillic is totally ignored.

    --
    Regards,
    Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>