Re: Windows Glyph Handling

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 07:26:18 CDT

    Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > Gregg Reynolds wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm, I see what you mean, but I don't think that's an issue for the
    >> Open Type spec. Informing the client of *anything* is beyond the
    >> scope of OT - it's just a set of tables and rules for looking things
    >> up. I don't see any reason an OpenType engine could not provide the
    >> info you note above - all the info is there.
    >

    > No, it isn't! There is nothing in the substitution definition in the
    > GSUB table to distinguish substitution from swapping.

    Aha, thank you, the scales fall from my eyes. IOW, the OT engine could
    report that it made a substitution, but it has no way of knowing that
    any particular substitution is in effect a swap, since it doesn't know
    anything about glyph/character identity. Correct?

    > The GSUB
    > substitution does *not* support swapping - just replacement, fusion and
    > splitting.

    How about a new feature definition: "swap"?

    -gregg