Re: [A12n-Collab] ISO 639-3 language variants for French

From: Denis Jacquerye (moyogo@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 01:53:05 CDT

    On 8/24/05, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > I see that ISO 639-3 lists the following variants for French:
    >
    > * Standard (modern) French
    > [fra;fra;fr;I;L] French
    >
    > * Historical variants of standard French [fra] (there's no clear
    > delimitation):
    > [frm;frm;;I;H] French, Middle (ca.1400-1600)
    > [fro;fro;;I;H] French, Old (842-Ca.1400)
    >
    > * Variants of standard French in French overseas where standard French is
    > also official:
    > [gcf;;;I;L] Guadeloupean Creole French
    > [gcr;;;I;L] Guianese Creole French
    > [rcf;;;I;L] Réunion Creole French
    > Isn't there also a variant for Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon (near from the
    > Canadian variant)?
    > But where is then the Martinican Creole French, is it considered the same
    > as
    > Guadeloupean?
    > What about the creole variants spoken in Mayotte (and the Comores)?
    > What about the creole variant spoken in Madagascar (a past French colony)?

      The way Ethnologue is deciding if two languages aren't one is by seeing
    how much of one is understandable by a speaker of the second. They apply
    this very consistently in many cases but sometimes they just haven't got
    around to it yet for different reasons.

    See http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/introduction.asp#language_id for
    more information.

    * Does this refer to the creole created by mixing modern French into
    > Occitan, or is it considered instead a variant of Occitan (post 1500)
    > [oci;oci;oc;M;L]?
    > [frp;;;I;L] Franco-Provençal

     Occitan is marked L, meaning it's a living language, so it is contemporary
    Occitan, not the historical one. It is also marked M, so it's a group of
    languages. It actually contains Auvergnat, Gascon, etc.
     Denis Jacquerye