Re: U+2026 break behaviour

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 03:07:54 CDT

    On 2005.09.05, 07:04, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

    > A quick check from Table 2 of UAC #14 also shows that between EX and IN
    > there is "_", a direct break opportunity. (Whether this is a good thing
    > or not is a different issue.)

    Well, unlike in Doug's example (thanks for setting up that page, BTW), in
    real life we just want that a paragraph that ends with bang+ellipsis (or,
    more rarely, with ellipsis+bang) will not be displayed with a line break
    between those two punctuantions -- we want them unbroken and connected to
    the last word of the paragraph.

    (The same for question marks, em dashes and interrobangs; and, more
    exotically, for sentences beggining with multiple punctuantions.)

    > Such behavior is described on my page
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html

    Which is an excellent piece of information! :-) (It reminds me that I
    should some day report about the weir Portuguese hyphen and how I do it in
    HTML and in DTP.)

    > It exhibits the behavior described. When you make the browser window
    > narrow enough, a line break will appear between the exclamation mark and
    > the horizontal ellipsis (e.g., in the heading).

    Yep, same here, with IE 6.0.2800.1106. Interestingly enough, Opera 7.23
    3227 simply does not break the H1 line at all.

    > forwarded message, quoting a message posted to the list on October 22,
    > 2004. I was unable to find such a message in the archives.

    Sorry, I never arrived back then, so I'm posting again, since it is still
    as interesting now as it was whan I originally typed it (or so I hope! ;-)
    The same goes for some other similar messages.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |