Re: Languages supported by UTF8 and UTF16

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 06:13:48 CDT

    On 2005.09.09, 09:22, Antoine Leca <Antoine10646@Leca-Marti.org> wrote:

    > A: It's hard to say. Many scripts (especially Latin) are used for a very
    > large number of languages.

    IMHO, everybody's using the wrong word in this thread (influenced by the
    not very well put original question) -- what Unicode does "cover" are not
    languages, but writing systems.

    Any language that can be usefully written in more than one script
    (Serbian, Mongol, Irish a.m.m.) is adds to the answer number — as any
    language, living or dead, which has no orthography of its own, cannot be
    counted in (and that minus point is not Unicode's "fault").

    And thene there are things like East Asian ideograms, which are/were used
    to write more than one language (not only the specific Japanese usage, but
    also that Chinese "is" one language only in written, etc.).

    So, the question «How many languages are covered by Unicode?» as probably
    no clear answer.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |